Cntlm: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:3128

Cntlm is a great tool to create an internet proxy. I wrote about how to configure it here.  However, I recently encountered the following error message when trying to access a local REST service:

No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:3128

The port number rang a mental bell as it was configured as the listening port for Cntlm. I deactivated Cntlm:

1. Stopped the windows service
2. Reverted the proxy settings in my browser

No luck.

I tried rebooting the server, but that did not resolve the problem.

More investigation revealed that Application Pool account for my custom web site was caching the Cntlm connection. I connected to the machine as the Application Pool account and noticed that the proxy settings for cntlm where still there. I was able to reset the settings to resolve the problem.

Alternatively, I could change the Application Pool account.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SharePoint 2013: Error updating managed account credentials

Error deploying Nintex workflow: An item with the same key has already been added